Thursday, July 8, 2010

Its A Small World


When I moved into the new rental, there were two bowls sitting in the garden.  The bowls are just on 40cm across and had a water lilly in them  To me that was a bit hopeful expecting them to grow in something so small.  With the bowl full the top, the ball of clay the plant is growing in is only about 3 cm below the water level.  The lillies looked like they were struggling.  I was not suprised given the size of the bowl and the fact that they are growing in such a small plug of clay sitting in a small bit of water.  They were a bit low so I dutifully topped them up and kept making sure they stayed full.  They took off and within two weeks they were both in flower.


Each flower lasts about 4 or 5 days and as it fades, the next one opens.  It is a rare day when one does not have a flower open.  They are thriving in that tiny space. 

Recently I noticed something tiny swimming in the water.  My first thought was mosquito larvae, but on closer inspection they were tadpoles.  While I like frogs, they are causing a problem by burrowing into the pots with my plants, but I don't think that gives me the right to start killing them.  Given the small bowl, I scooped some the tadpoles out and moved them to the other bowl.  So now these tiny bowls not only house a thriving tropical waterlily, they both support a population of growing tadpoles.

 

Its a complete eco system in about 5 litres of water.

1 comment:

  1. now that sounds like a good idea, might try that up here in qld,

    ReplyDelete